Monday, October 9, 2017

Discipline vs. Motivation

Read a great blog post the other day that really has stuck with me and I wanted to share some key points in my own words.

Finding motivation is great!  You can be inspired by people around you, people you see everyday, friends, family, etc.  You can be inspired by a professional athlete, a coach, a teacher anyone really.  Motivation oftentimes helps us to stay focused or even to finally get started.  The problem with motivation is that it's externally derived and it ebbs and flows.  You find motivation in OTHERS and it's not permanent.  Think of a rollercoaster, you see someone's achievements, get really inspired to work hard and stick to your plan, it works for a few days, weeks, etc, then invariably without constant "motivation" you slow down, revert and maybe get off track.

Discipline on the other hand, is something YOU do, consistently, every day whether you feel like it or not.  Discipline comes from YOU.  You control the actions tied to your discipline.  Whether it's exercising, practicing meditation, making healthy food choices, spending more time with your family, studying for school, being a better friend, coach, mother, spouse.  You just do it, day in and day out because you know it's the right thing to do and it will absolutely make your goals possible.  You could be having a shitty day, and not feel MOTIVATED to stay on track.  That's an outside force.  It's your DISCIPLINE, your inner strength that is all up to you, that will inevitably be responsible for keeping you on track.

It's still a great idea to search for inspiration, motivation in others.  It's a great way to make your disciplined actions seem easier at times, but it's critical to remember that what you do, your actions, your choices, your behavior starts and ends with you.  Period.  Having a great support system is so helpful but absolutely not necessary. And any lack of motivation or inspiration should not paralyze your efforts or affect your discipline - EVER.

This little mind shift has worked wonders for me.  I'm less concerned about external factors I can't control.  Who is supporting me, who wants to see me succeed, who is trying to push me, who may be discouraging me.  I have to let all of that go and realize that my DISCIPLINE is the only thing I need to ensure I stay on track.  I either have it or I don't.  Every day won't be a  total success, and I'm certain my discipline will have some cracks in it at times.  But I realize that all of my actions are within my ultimate control and I will do what it takes to get what I want.  No motivation necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment