Friday, June 11, 2010

The World According to my 5-year old.


5 years ago today, we welcomed Elliana Rose Scherer to this world. She was a schedued C-section at 37 weeks and was a whopping 7 lbs 15 oz. I imagine if she went full term she would have been just as big as her 9lb 4 oz brother.

I took the day off from work today so we could spend some time together. I try to do that for both kids on their respective birthdays. So once we got Braedon off to school, Ells and I headed to the pediatrician for her annual well-visit. She was bouncing around the waiting room telling the receptionists that her Daddy "sent" her a note for her birthday. In actuality, my husband "left" her a note on the kitchen counter since he normally is up and out in the mornings before the rest of us even get out of bed. Chris has also wrapped a few presents I'd left on the counter the night before. Ells told everyone that her "Dad" got her some presents. The way she put it, it sounded like Daddy doesn't live with us and I just couldn't let that stand. So I corrected her (out loud) several times, since she repeated the story more than once to anyone who would listen.
On the way there I asked if she had brushed her teeth. She said no, and asked if we could go back home before her visit. I just let her know that she'd be fine and although she need not announce that fact that she hadn't brushed her teeth, she should answer all of the doctors questions honestly. Once in the room with the nurse, the first thing out of her mouth was that she hadn't brushed her teeth. Then she told the nurse that she didn't want anyone cutting her neck, because if that happened she would die. I'm sitting there thinking, get me out of here, now! Later on, the doctor asked Ells if anyone in her house smokes. After a long uncomfortable pause, she said, "My mom." I quickly interjected stating I quit smoking last August. Then Ells declared that her brother smokes. I ask, "Do you even know what that means?" She gave me a puzzled look and said, "Isn't that like fire?" ugh. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the office is now convinced that everyone in the house chain smokes, except for Dad, because he doesn't even live with us!

The day has only just begun. We are going to have lunch with Mom-Mom Schiavelli, my grandmother, and then off to her pool party this evening with 50+ people - Yikes! What was I thinking? I'm sure Elliana will give me more blog-worthy material the rest of today and for years to come. I'll keep sharing. Love you Ells.

No comments:

Post a Comment